The Lincoln County Historical Society maintains a museum at the Old Jail. The building at 211 W. Collier Street was constructed as the Lincoln County Jail and Jailer’s Residence by P.J. Pauley & Bro. in 1870. The property consists of two adjoined buildings, both of which are brick. At the west end of the complex is a one-story jail with a flat roof. Access to the jail was via the jailer’s residence – a two-story brick Italianate building at the east end of the property. The jail is Gothic Revival with corner brick buttresses and a stepped corbel table near the roofline. A single gothic arched window is noted at the north elevation of the brick ell that connects the jail to the residential two-story wing. Remaining windows on the jail wing have limestone bell arches. All the jail’s windows are covered with exterior vertical iron bars. The two-story residential wing has a low hipped roof clad with asphalt shingles, exterior five-course common bond brick walls and a limestone foundation. The residence has off-center entrances on the south and north elevations. The south elevation retains an original wood paneled door with a single-light transom. The door is offset at the east by a single window. Paired Italianate brackets are visible below the roofline cornice. All of the windows are two-over-two, double-hung design with stone swag arches and stone sills. The property is currently utilized by the Lincoln County Historical & Archaeological Society.” ~ NRHP
The society has completed major renovations to the jail. Since then, the society has worked tirelessly to improve the jail, and add to it safety and comfort level and provide a safe haven for furniture, clothes, pictures, and many gifts from residents of the county, past and present.
The Lincoln County Old Jail Museum does not have regular hours and appointments must be arranged in advance. The Historical Society can be contacting at (636) 528-7562.
The LCSO facility on Business Park Drive was built in 1996. The Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office has a long and rich history since its founding in 1819. A memorial wall is devoted to honoring the men and women who dedicate their lives in service to the Lincoln County. The wall also serves as an educational exhibit showing how the LCOS, and the law enforcement professional have evolved over time to overcome challenges and meet expectations. The heritage and culture of the LCSO resides largely in the collective memories of the men and women who have proudly worn the uniform and badge over the years. Many of these stories are collected and maintained in public record archives to be shared with future generations.